MWiB is committed to a five-year focus (2011-2016) on caste discrimination and the treatment of millions of Dalit people around the world. As such there is a small active task group with the aims of:
- raising awareness of the issues across the Methodist Church in Britain
- informing our prayer for Dalit people
- working in partnership with the church in India to resource the education of Dalit girls and women’s self-help groups.
The MWiB Dalit Solidarity Resource Pack was first published in April 2013 and updated in October 2014.
- It is full of information, ideas for action and worship, prayer and awareness-raising.
- Some of the articles, including the PowerPoint presentation referred to, can be downloaded below and the remainder will become available via the website in June 2015.
- The pack is available at MWiB events or from district MWiB Forum representatives email enquiries email@example.com
- The updated pack costs £6 (£7 by post) which includes a £1 donation to the MWiB/Church of North India partnership fund, explained in the pack. Cheques should be payable to MWiB.
Additional information and resources can be downloaded here as follows:
Background and context
- Dalit people fact sheet
- Click here to watch a short interview with Elizabeth Joy, Director of Meora World Mission and activist for Dalit rights.
- A fascinating article from the International Dalit Solidarity Network website on the status of Dalit women
Visits to India
- A report of the visit Deborah Kirk and Alison Richardson made to the Cuttack diocese in January 2012
- Linda’s visit 2013 (coming soon)
- Linda’s visit 2014 (coming soon)
The CNI/MWiB partnership
Caste discrimination in the UK
- Take action against caste discrimination including a sample letter to be sent to your MP.
- The transcript of a debate in the House of Commons on 9th July 2014. This provides an excellent summary of the current position of UK legislation, even if the answers to the questions are not what we might hope for.
- Notice of Motion 204 brought to 2014 Methodist Conference
Resources for worship and action
- Some ideas for a prayer station/sharing an Asian peace (see new attachment, combining sheets from the Resource Pack)
- A service (from the Resource Pack) written by Joyce Powell and suitable for use in Advent; it is given here as a booklet ready for printing from pdf files, or as an A4 word document which can then be adapted for the local situation.
- An extract from the material prepared for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity 2013, which focussed on the Dalit issue.
- The Life Association is another charity which works in support of Dalit people; they produce candles, spices and other items made by Dalit people.
- 11.40 MB File Size
- 23 Downloads
File Action Risks of being a woman in India Download An Advent Service Download Visit to Cuttack Download Prayer material suggestions Download Notice of Motion 204 Download Take action against caste discrimination Download MWiB partnership with CNI Download Starting on a journey Download Dalit Fact Sheet Download Dalit Solidarity PowerPoint Presentation Download
February 4, 2012