Contact us on 0300 030 9873 or admin@mwib.org.uk

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Subject

Your Message

What are we worth? 13th August 2019

What are we worth? 13th August 2019
August 13, 2019 Sandra Goodwin

Our preacher on Sunday morning used an illustration of all the elements that make up our bodies. Around 90% is water, but amongst the remaining 10% are a range of minerals including a tiny amount of gold. So, the question was – What are we worth? The answer – around 75p!
Worth is an interesting concept though. Do we simply assess it in monetary terms? Or do we value kindness, courtesy, generosity? How do we make value judgements about those who are always just ‘there’ for others, never grumbling about offering lifts, accompanying to clinic visits and waiting patiently, looking after children to give parents opportunities to do other things, or simply have a break.
Sunday’s service considered the worth of Abram and of Nicodemus, both of whom showed their ‘worth’ in terms of faithfulness to what they believed, but were also challenged to change their habits to ‘prove their worth’. They each were called to do particular things which proved to be worthwhile – Abram to become the ‘Father of nations’, Nicodemus to be a supporter of Jesus, albeit in ways at least initially, that might be described as ‘under the radar’. He appears to have been an admirer of Jesus speaking for him to be tried properly in Jerusalem, and later more openly requesting Jesus body for burial.
I have reflected in the past couple of days on how our individual worth might be perceived by different people and whether that might be affected by circumstances or situations. If we have some education and hold a position in life, does that affect the extent to which we may be thought worthy in worldly terms. Yet, if we were trapped in a situation of slavery our worth would be viewed in quite another way. In some senses probably worthless or even nothing, but in certain circles some parts of us could have significant worth – money making to traffickers, life saving for the ‘donation’ of an organ.
If we think of Jesus’ ministry as God’s son sent to show God’s love for the world, that act shows us that God values us, we are of worth to him, and we can reflect that worthiness based in us by showing care and concern for others. Each act of kindness and consideration signifies something worth valuing.
This week for me is a time for the whole family to be together for a few days. It is something which does not happen very frequently, and so is time to be cherished, valued and of great worth. Seeing the grandchildren mostly co-operating over a game, laughing together over a silly joke or competing to see who can pick [and eat] the most blackberries, [and turning purple in the process] is an image to remember. Watching while the youngest [2 years] directs the eldest [9 years] to pretend to be asleep, then pulls the pillow from under him and climbs over him [repeated several times] was so amusing to see, it will stay in the memory a long time. Those are the things I value, their worth is much more than 75p.